Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Answered prayer

Christmas program pictures: K-4, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade
This Friday is our school's annual elementary Christmas program, and it is Justin's last year in elementary school, so I've been reflecting a lot... and occasionally, I'm an emotional wreck about the fact that Justin is almost in Middle School, but we'll ignore that for now. ;)

There are many things I love about our school, but every year, I always say that the annual Christmas program is my favorite night of the year.  I love seeing our beautiful community of students share their talents in singing and acting.  And every year, I'm praying through most of the program that the words about our Savior's birth and the life Jesus offers will speak deeply to the hearts of everyone present.  I pray that our students will remember those words no matter how long they are at our school or where they go in life.

I remember the first Christmas program we attended at OCSI.  It was when Justin was 3 years old, so he wasn't a student yet.  Some friends of ours who worked at the school invited our family to attend, and our boys loved every minute of the program.  I remember praying that our boys could attend a school like this.  In ministry and missions, many things are not certain.  At that time, I didn't know if we could afford to send our boys to OCSI, and we never know how long we will live in a certain place.  But I distinctly remember praying that God would give our boys a good school community where they could grow in Him and develop deep friendships and relationships.

And God has answered that prayer.  That's such a simple sentence... God answered the prayer... but every time I think about it I'm overwhelmed with awe at God's faithfulness and blessings.  Justin will be performing on Friday night with friends he has had since preschool.  Many faces have changed, but a number have stayed, and that is such a precious gift. Many of his elementary school teachers are still here and involved in his life.

Our church and school community are marked by people constantly coming and going, and while we're so thankful to have been in this place for nearly 9 years now, sometimes it's not easy being the people who stay.  But this Friday night, we get to celebrate God's incredible goodness to us of continued memories and relationships in a very special place.

No comments: