Monday, July 28, 2008

English Classes

I (Julie) would like to introduce you to some of my new friends! God has blessed me at APNTS with the opportunity to become certified in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). Every semester, college students from Korea Nazarene University come to our campus to study English for 6 weeks. This semester we have 21 students, so they are divided into 2 classes. I am teaching their "Spoken English" class. We work on pronunciation and speaking confidence... really, we just have a lot of fun. :)Not all the students that come are Christians, so it's a great opportunity for our campus to show them the love of Christ. Please pray for them while they are here and for us as we make new friends and minister to them.
I also have the opportunity to teach a class throughout the semester. All APNTS classes are in English, so students have to obtain a certain score on an English exam before they are allowed to register for graduate classes. If they don't get a high enough score, they may take undergraduate English classes in order to improve their score. This is the 3rd semester I've taught "English Development." We also work on pronunciation and speaking confidence. It's so meaningful to get to know our new students and their stories as we study English together. My class this semester is very dedicated to their studies, so I'm afraid they will all pass the English exam at semester and I won't have anyone next semester! ;) Please pray for us as we get to know each other and learn more about Christ and his love througout the semester. Our class this year represents Philippines, Japan, Korea, and Myanmar - we are learning a lot about each other's cultures! :)

No comments: